Gentoo Linux is a special flavor of Linux that can be automatically optimized and customized for just about any application or need. Extreme performance, configurability and a top-notch user and developer community are all hallmarks of the Gentoo experience.
Gentoo Linux is a versatile and fast, completely free Linux distribution for x86, PowerPC, UltraSparc and Alpha systems that's geared towards Linux power users. Unlike other distros, Gentoo Linux has an advanced package management system called Portage.
Portage is the heart of Gentoo Linux, and performs many key functions. For one, Portage is the software distribution system for Gentoo Linux. To get the latest software for Gentoo Linux, you type one command: emerge --sync. This command tells Portage to update your local "Portage tree" over the Internet. Your local Portage tree contains a complete collection of scripts that can be used by Portage to create and install the latest Gentoo packages. Currently, we have more than 8000 packages in our Portage tree, with new ones being added all the time.
overview of what is included in the most recent release of Gentoo Linux:
- Support for x86
- LiveCD-based installation
- Latest stable KDE and GNOME
- Various optimized Linux kernels
- Very modern GNU development environment
- Excellent filesystem support: ReiserFS, XFS, ext3, EVMS, LVM
- Excellent hardware support: NVIDIA, Creative Labs Live! and Audigy
- Modular OpenGL and compiler sub-system (supports multiple co-existing versions)
- Clean, dependency-based system initialization scripts
- New "hardened" Gentoo security initiative
- more than 8000 packages of the latest and greatest software
- Enhanced Portage capabilities